Urban Ecology Studies, 1925 (Nina Brown http://www.csiss.org/classics/content/26)
- University of Chicago program of urban research in the sociology department
- Park & Burgess elaborated a theory of urban ecology - cities are governed by forces of Darwinian evolution that affect natural ecosystems - competition...
- Their model (The City, 1925) predicted that cities would take the form of five concentric rings with areas of social and physical deterioration concentrated near the city center
Urban Darwinism (Burgess 1925)
- Homogeneous concentric circles
- The ecology of "invasion & succession" with ethnic groups as the species
Moral Order & Space